Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sun, Sand . . . Digits?

When I saw this story in the Daily Mail I was shocked. I realize that girls are exploring their sexuality at younger and younger ages these days, but this is an invitation for trouble. It turns out that teenage girls in Australia are turning heads at the beach by painting their phone numbers on their backs while sunbathing to meet boys.



This new trend frightens me on many levels. First of all, these girls are willingly and deliberately objectifying their bodies to attract boys in a most unsafe way. Making a billboard of your half-naked body at a public beach opens the door for anyone - boys, men, predators, rapists, etc. – to get your private contact information. This is incredibly dangerous. These girls are minors – some as young as 14 years old – who are inviting strangers to check out their body and take down their number if they like what they see. And what if your phone number gets in the hands of a predator or rapist and something goes awfully wrong and a young girls is assaulted. Will people turn around and say she deserved it? We need to stop this trend in its tracks now before more young girls are put in danger.

1 comments:

High-Heeled Foot in the door October 16, 2008 at 11:24 PM  

Ok that's it. I'm never having kids. If I do I'm going to lock them up and never let them leave the house. :)