Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Virtual Vacation Over!

So, I've been on a bit of a "virtual vacation" the last week for a few reasons. First, work has been the craziest it has been for me in the time that I've been there and secondly I've been traveling a lot. One of my best friends from college is getting married and I've been away for her bridal shower and most recently her bachelorette party but alas I'm back and boy is there a lot going on - and at the forefront of course the murder of a hero - Dr. George Tiller.

I've been so angered, shocked, and saddened by the untimely death of Dr. Tiller that it's been difficult for me to put into words how I feel although I've been reading lots about how other people feel. Both the anti-choice and pro-choice sides are up in arms and I've been utterly disgusted by the things said by anti-choice zealots like Operation Rescue founder Randall Terry and Fox News Bill O'Reilly. This USA Today editorial that I read today describes what happened in a way that speaks to me. My favorite part is the end:

Regardless of personal beliefs about abortion, authorities have an obligation to protect those providing and receiving abortion services, and to prosecute those who harass or threaten them. The tragedy of Tiller's death will only be compounded if it frightens away more doctors and makes a legal procedure even harder to come by.


On a lighter note this article from the NYT put a smile on my face from beginning to end. Maybe every man should be forced to go through menopause to get an intimate look at a woman's life (you're intrigued aren't you??) Check it out!

0 comments: