Sunday, May 3, 2009

Another Reason Why I love Nicholas Kristof

A while back I wrote a post for Care2 about the backlog of rape kits in CA that have gone untested. I was outraged by the Human Rights Report that made this discovery and was even more outraged that the issue wasn't getting the attention it deserved.

Finally though last week I came across a column by one of my all time favorite columnists Nicholas Kristof who was just as outraged as I was!

"Some Americans used to argue that it was impossible to rape an unwilling woman. Few people say that today, or say publicly that a woman 'asked for it' if she wore a short skirt. But the refusal to test rape kits seems a throwback to the same antediluvian skepticism about rape as a traumatic crime..."

"It’s what we might expect in Afghanistan, not in the United States."

The only silver lining:

"New York City has made a concerted effort over the last decade to test every kit that comes in. The result has been at least 2,000 cold hits in rape cases, and the arrest rate for reported cases of rape in New York City rose from 40 percent to 70 percent, according to Human Rights Watch." (emphasis mine)

Check out my piece on Care2 >
Read Nicholas Kristof's column >

0 comments: