Friday, August 21, 2009

Hillary Clinton - Another Fav of Mine!

I know many people have very strong opinions about Hillary Clinton. I do too. It seems that they either love her or hate her. I LOVE her! I think she is a phenomenal woman who champions women's rights around the world tirelessly and for that I am thankful.

She recently returned from an 11-day tour of Africa where she focused largely on bringing women's issues to the forefront of the governments across the continent. Before leaving for her trip she sat down with New York Times to talk about her work on women's issues. Below are my favorite highlights:

"Democracy means nothing if half the people can’t vote, or if their vote doesn’t count, or if their literacy rate is so low that the exercise of their vote is in question."

"I happen to believe that the transformation of women’s roles is the last great impediment to universal progress..."

"... in too many places and too many ways, the oppression of women stands as a stark reminder of how difficult it is to realize people’s full human potential."

"If you look at where we are fighting terrorism, there is a connection to groups that are making a stand against modernity, and that is most evident in their treatment of women."

"President Obama and I and the United States will not tolerate this continuation of wanton, senseless, brutal violence perpetrated against girls and women."

"... so-called women’s issues are stability issues, security issues, equity issues."

Also be sure to check out my post on Care2 about her trip to Africa.

0 comments: