Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I Now Pronounce you Wife and Wife

All my Children (AMC) made television history this week with the first lesbian wedding on daytime TV.

Although I have to admit that I'm not a faithful viewer (OK I don't think I've ever seen an episode of AMC in my life), I think this is fantastic news and I might just tune in.

"It is a full romantic, rich relationship between Bianca and Reese, with all the complications that come from any passionate relationship and so it is fully portrayed," Susan Lucci tells ET.

It will be interesting to see how the relationship pans out post wedding. With a married same-sex female couple on the show there is a great opportunity to portray a lesbian relationship on daytime TV. And it looks like this couple also has a child so it will be an even better opportunity to portray a lesbian family on TV.

Here's a segment I found on CNN about the wedding:




Apparently, a lesbian wedding isn't the first first for AMC. They also had the first transgender character on television and first same-sex kiss on daytime television. Bravo AMC!

Here's another video I found with a longer clip of the wedding (actual wedding starts about 6:34 but only goes through one girl's vows - sorry!):



I know soap operas are a unique medium. Let's be serious, soap operas have a lot of ridiculous story lines but this is a great move and one that I hope will pave the way for the portrayal of more same-sex couples across the airways.

0 comments: