Thursday, February 12, 2009

Does Abortion Change You?

On the subway this morning on the way to work I saw an advertisement for abortionchangesyou.com

It was a picture of a somber Asia woman with the following next to her:

“I thought life would be the way it was before.”

Abortion changes you.
The word abortion had been crossed out and in its place in blue sharpie was the word MURDER in caps.

Not the way I’d like to start my day off, but there it was smack in my face. As soon as I got to work I looked up the organization and I have to say I have mixed feelings.

While on the one hand I believe it is important for women to share their personal stories about abortion (that’s why I was so excited about the Glamour article!), this site paints a picture of abortion as something that women should regret.

Each story I read talked about remorse, depression, loneliness, and needing to be forgiven, but the truth is that not all women feel this way. Many are relieved and happy with the choice they have made. This is not to say it wasn’t a difficult decision, but I think it is dangerous to portray abortion in this one sided manner.

I’ve never experienced having to decide whether or not to have an abortion, but if I did I know I wouldn’t be comforted by going to this site. I’m sure abortion changes you, or at least it could, but it’s doesn’t automatically mean a change for the worse. Many women feel they are better off having exercised their choice.

I didn’t read all the stories so I’m sure there must be some that have a different take, at least I hope, but I guess the flip side is that these women are able to openly and anonymously talk about a very difficult decision.

What do you think?

1 comments:

sally February 12, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

I've seen that ad on the subway before and I knew just from looking at it that it was an anti-choice ad, so I never even bothered going to the site.

All these people want to do is pass on the message that abortion will only have negative effects. To do so is irresponsible and misleading, but that's their goal.

I, too, think it's important to hear ALL sides of personal stories and statistical research and all of that. But when there is too much lean in one direction or the other, I just cross that source off my list of reliability and move on.