Monday, February 16, 2009

A Vagina Story

I can’t think about Valentine’s Day without thinking about The Vagina Monologues. I lost my Vagina Monologues virginity my senior year of college – I know that’s pretty late for some but I’ll never forget it. I was so moved by the show’s honest and raw appeal and its ability to explore women and their bodies in such a new and exciting way. I’d never heard anything like it and I knew I wanted more.

That same year on a whim a friend and I decided to invite Eve Ensler to our college campus as our Spring Women’s Studies speaker. We knew it was a long shot, but we decided it couldn’t hurt to ask. And I’m so glad we did. Within the hour we had an email response saying Eve would love to come. I could have died.

It was an incredible speech and one of the most incredible moments in my life, especially because it opened my eyes up to V-Day, the global movement to end violence against women and girls that developed as a result of the popularity of The Vagina Monologues. The idea is so simple, but it’s impact so great and effective. Performances of The Vagina Monologues, and other plays of Eve’s, are performed in over 120 countries around the world with the proceeds going to local efforts to end violence. In over 10 years V-Day has raised over $60 million in over. Incredible.


Last year I went to New Orleans to celebrate V-Day’s 10-year anniversary. It was an amazing weekend with star-studded performances of The Vagina Monologues, slam poetry, dancing, local New Orleans musicians, speeches from world leaders, a non-violence parade through the streets of the city, and so much more! It was the most inspiring weekend of my life.

Here are some pictures of the weekend:

Here are me and my sister before entering the SuperDome - the Superlove for the weekend (notice the wind blowing in her hair - haha!).

Here is the stage in the Superlove - one of the biggest, most beautiful vaginas I have ever seen.

Second runner up for biggest / most beautiful vagina - that vagina sculptor was the entrance to the Superlove.

Marching through the streets of New Orleans with Code Pink and lots of other fabulous people!

Eve Ensler and Agnes Pareyio, the woman who opened V-Day's first Safe House for Girls in Kenya.

The stage where the star-studded performances of The Vagina Monologues took place with a huge performance of R-E-S-P-E-C-T at the very end with Faith Hill, Jennifer Hudson and lots others!

So, to make a long story short I love The Vagina Monologues. I love V-Day. I love Eve Ensler. And well, I love my vagina.

What’s your vagina story?

1 comments:

High-Heeled Foot in the door February 17, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

I love this post. Great to see all the pictures again. I'm still so sad that I wasn't able to attend the event in New Orleans, but I'm so happy that you invited Eve to your school. It has been great to meet with her as well and get completely inspired by everything she does.