Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sex (I mean Sexism) Sells!

I don't know how many of you may have watched the Super Bowl this past Sunday but I only tuned in during commercial breaks to check out the yearly anticipated advertisements. Boy was I unsurprised by the overuse of sexism to sell just about anything and, of course, garner the loudest laughs.

I'm not sure what it will take to put an end to this tradition of monopolizing women's bodies for the funniest and cleverest ads, but it needs to stop.

Maybe we can start by:

1). Explaining to people who mindlessly laugh along why these commercials are not funny and are actually incredibly offensive.
2). Boycotting companies with said offensive ads. They may be selling sexism, but we don't have to buy it.
3). Writing angry emails or letters to the companies themselves or networks that air their ads, demanding an end to their blatant objectification of women.

Any other ideas? I'm all ears!

For some of this year's most offensive picks check out what I have to say about on Care2

What did you think?

0 comments: